20-billion colony forming units of 10 probiotic bacteria and yeast per dose. Plus two of their favourite prebiotic fuels for growth. It all adds up to better digestion and increased immunity. Do the math.
Size: 30 Capsules 100% Vegan
What? PRO-biotics are live bugs (like good bacteria or yeasts) that benefit the host they live on (like you). PRE-biotics are the foods that benefit the bugs that benefit you. Simple.
What else? When probiotics and prebiotics are combined in a supplement (like this one), it’s called a SYN-biotic. As in SYN-ergy.
So what? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic is a synbiotic that contains nine strains of healthy bacteria and a probiotic yeast. More specifically it contains 20-billion colony forming units per dose – about 20 times more than the average probiotic. It also packs in chicory inulin and oligofructose prebiotics. PRO + PRE = SYN. Simple.
WHAT’S A COLONY FORMING UNIT? It’s a measure of the number of live, viable microbials in something. And, clearly, you want lots of these in your probiotic supplement, if not in your soup. Most probiotics contain 100-million to 1-billion CFUs per dose. The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic contains 20-billion. Bingo.
HOW WILL PRO-PROBIOTIC HELP YOU?
Stress, prescription drugs, alcohol, a high-fat diet, too much red meat and too little dietary fibre can allow bad gut bacteria to overgrow and take over the gut. This can lead to digestive problems like infections, lactose intolerance, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, Candida and reduced absorption of nutrients. Unless you put more good guys in.
Here’s what good-guy bacteria can do
1. INHIBIT BAD BACTERIA. They take all the nutrients and out-compete unhealthy bacteria – some probiotics even lower the pH to inhibit bad microflora and produce bacteriocins, natural antibiotic substances against harmful bugs like Candida albicans, Salmonella, E coli and Staph aureus.
2. ANSWER ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but don’t know how to tell the good from the bad. This means they can upset the system and your stomach. Studies have shown that replacing the beneficial bacteria with a probiotic can prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea.
3. IMPROVE IMMUNITY. Good bacteria work with the immune system on multiple levels. They’re practically honorary members of the team. Here’s why...
- Physical protection. Probiotic bacteria line the mouth, nose, oesophagus, lung cavity and digestive and urinary systems. They form a physical barrier between bad bacteria and the bloodstream. Like a living layer of Clingfilm.
- More immune cells. Research has shown that probiotics help increase the number of T and B lymphocytes produced to fight the body’s battles.
- More immune activity. They stimulate cells to produce antibodies against foreign invaders and immune messenger proteins called cytokines that help coordinate the immune response.
- More killer cell activity. Probiotics don’t just stimulate T-cells and B-cells to do their thing. They also push other immune cells, like macrophages and natural killer cells, to do theirs – namely to attack, engulf and swallow harmful microorganisms, toxins and cancer cells. It’s called phagocytosis, which means “cell eating”. And probiotics get cells eating more.
4. ENHANCE NUTRITION. More good bacteria in the gut promote the absorption of nutrients from food – especially minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc. They also produce nutrients themselves, including B vitamins, folic acid, and antioxidants like vitamin K.
5. LOWER CHOLESTEROL. Research has shown that probiotics can lower bad LDL cholesterol and raise good HDL cholesterol levels. They do this by helping to decrease synthesis and enhance removal of the offending fat. Lactobacilli are also thought to help reduce high blood pressure.
6. FIGHT TOXIC NITROSAMINES. They suppress the production of nitrosamines in the intestines and help to degrade these cancer-causing compounds.
7. PREVENT AND TREAT...
ESSENTIAL WITH ANTIBIOTICS. A 2008 study from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York concluded that the right dose of probiotics will prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea. What’s the right dose? More than 5-billion colony-forming units per day for children, and more than 10-billion colony-forming units per day for adults.
WHAT’S IN PRO-PROBIOTIC?
1. THE PROBIOTICS
All the microorganisms in PRO-Probiotic are pros at improving digestion and immunity (as mentioned above). But each one also has its own special talents.
2. AND THE PREBIOTICS
What? Technically, prebiotics are soluble, non-digestible dietary fibres that good bacteria cling to and feed on.
How? Practically, because they’re non-digestible, prebiotics move through the gut without being broken down. Then they stick around to be fermented in the colon. This means good bacteria have more to eat for longer. The healthy flora flourish.
Which ones? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic has packed a two-course meal for the bacteria on board. It contains a unique combination of two natural prebiotics extracted from the chicory root:
1. INULIN (50%).
2. OLIGOFRUCTOSE (50%).
WHAT CAN IT BE USED FOR?
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Lactose intolerance.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Allergies and inflammation.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
Take 1 capsule daily, before a meal (ideally first thing in the morning), or consult your health care practitioner. To maintain viability, keep refrigerated.
Please note: These products should be kept refrigerated but they can be kept for up to 2 weeks at room temperature, therefore the quality will not be affected during the shipping process.